COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 10-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default I support ammo background checks

I already gave my reasons in 's thread, but in case you missed it, here's why I support ammo purchase background checks:

1) Felon's cannot buy guns legally, but ANYONE-felon or not, can walk into any gun store, sporting goods store, Walmart, gun show, etc and BUY ammo without having to show ID or anything, as long as they look 21 or older. Even if they have to show ID to buy the ammo, there is nothing on the ID that says they're a felon, is there?

2) If you passed the background check for buying a gun, which now applies to both rifle and pistol, then what's the problem/issue with having the checks apply towards ammo.

3) If the agency that's in charge of this program, linked the background check information together (gun & ammo) then all you would need to show for any purchase is one ID card. Fat chance in that happening though, that would make too much sense.

4) Will background checks for ammo stop the bad guys or good guys from obtaining ammo, NO. Because ammo purchases can and will still be completed via private purchase through face to face meet ups in parking lots and other places because ammo sales ads from online websites, like this place for instance.

5) This proposed law will only slow/stop ammo purchases by felons and such from stores and other legal places as I stated earlier, see comment #1.

Let the flames begin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skosh69 For This Useful Post:
DaFadda (10-20-2015), sdmc530 (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 10:07 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,790 Times in 732 Posts

I don't have an issue with it either BUT can you imagine the line at the walmart with that process going on? I think that is the big hurdle with this solution, the burden on the retailer. WALMART makes lets say 50 ammo sales a day, that is probably 2 people just selling ammo and doing checks. I doubt most stores will do this for a product they don't make any money on anyways. I would bet a lot of non gun stores will just stop selling it for that reason.

My only question how would this impact guys who reload? I never buy ammo except for.22, a few rifle rounds and shotgun loads. But these are pretty low. So how would it effect me a reloader?

, I like that this will help with the gun issues in our messed up country but I don't think this will ever happen. I guess I don't want it to happen either.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 AM
COTEP Member

All this will do is drive up the price of ammo. More laws, on top of more laws, on top of more laws, has never fixed anything. Anyone who does not believe me can look at the tax laws, which nearly all politicians are now seeking to simplify. Or, less laws, less laws, less laws. It will create some money in fees, like a tax, which will screw the consumer as usual. There is absolutely NO proof that regulating ammo will provide a more safe America. No proof, zero, zilch.

When I was a kid, in Commie Jersey no less, we had guns and ammo everywhere. My neighbors did, my uncles had plenty. Gun ranges were plentiful. Cops didn't leave their homes for their duty shift in fear of being shot dead. And nobody got murdered.

What we have is a societal problem. Regulating ammo just proves we are not willing to address the cause of shootings, especially mass shootings. And the proof will be when the ammo is restricted and a shooting occurs. Until our screwed up society is addressed, public safety will remain a myth.

There are 100 million plus guns in America. The ammo will flow. Society needs healing.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 AM
COTEP Member

The gun grabbers are only interested in one thing.... grabbing guns. But you know that. I think keeping guns and AMMO away from criminals is a capitol idea. However driving ammo prices up $5.00 per purchase for a background check doesn't run a thrill up my leg. Yours? How about a better way to reach the goal. A once a year ammo background ammo check good for a year? Have no idea how to make that work. Background checks are not keeping guns away from criminals and maniacs, how would ammo back ground checks make a difference? I am not smart enough for this debate probably but I do know laws are basically about controlling the law abiding citizens as criminals could care less, the unfortunate insane are dealing with other voices in their heads.
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:35 AM
COTEP Member

I would support background checks for ammo but with these stipulations that would probably mean it will never happen.

1 no additional fees for the background check

2 No additional time constraints than are already in place. Make it as quick as swiping a drivers license and the terminal returning a Go-No go.

When you impede the law abiding citizen from exercising their RIGHTS then you are as bad as Brady, Clinton and Finestien. They would love to ban ammo purchases and the toe in the door is to put red tape inbetween you and your ammo. That gives them the leverage to pull the system off line during a time of emergency or other "reasonable" times they don't want you to be able to access ammo. The retailer can't get a check in because the system is down and you are screwed. "Never mind that dangling data cable from the back of the machine, sorry no ammo sales till we can get a tech from corporate out here to plug it in. May be a few days because they are really backed up with other data cables unplugged in all of our other locations."
Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I would support background checks for ammo but with these stipulations that would probably mean it will never happen.

1 no additional fees for the background check

2 No additional time constraints than are already in place. Make it as quick as swiping a drivers license and the terminal returning a Go-No go.

"
See, Charlie get's it! This is exactly what I was trying to convey in my OP, but failed to correctly express it.

Let's say that once a year, you apply for and get granted your ammo buying ID that you would have to show each time you purchase ammo.

It's not a perfect plan, but it would stop FELONS and ILLEGALS from buying ammo.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,790 Times in 732 Posts

Now this I can get on board with. Just a check and a card, you got the card you go no issues.......HOWEVER the government will use this data off your card to track what you are buying...this is bad.

Does this apply to primers, powder, cases and bullets? Where would it go and stop at?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:21 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
...... Where would it go and stop at?
Exactly!

First thing that comes to mind is: You give them an inch and they'll want to take a mile .... I don't trust them one iota ! YMMV
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,484 Times in 717 Posts

No. I don't need another law that does nothing but restrict my rights. What I need is to be left the f*** alone
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony up View Post
The gun grabbers are only interested in one thing.... grabbing guns. But you know that. I think keeping guns and AMMO away from criminals is a capitol idea. However driving ammo prices up $5.00 per purchase for a background check doesn't run a thrill up my leg. Yours? How about a better way to reach the goal. A once a year ammo background ammo check good for a year? Have no idea how to make that work. Background checks are not keeping guns away from criminals and maniacs, how would ammo back ground checks make a difference? I am not smart enough for this debate probably but I do know laws are basically about controlling the law abiding citizens as criminals could care less, the unfortunate insane are dealing with other voices in their heads.
I also am not smart enough for this debate. The simpleton in me thinks that everyone overthinks gun and ammo control. If you use a firearm in the commission of a crime... and / or you shoot someone during the commission of a felony, you go to jail. For a very long time. Fast swift justice. I however, am not smart enough comment on the intricacies of gun and ammo control. I'm just a poor boy from Hicksville TN.......
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.