COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Range Reports

Old 07-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Did I miss something? If the gun is shooting low and POI does not change when you adjust the elevation, I would say the scope is not working. It should move the POI somewhere.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414

Last edited by Sheepdog; 07-01-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:28 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
To achieve the proper eye relief, the standard practice is to mount the scope so that the rear of the ocular lens is roughly even with the rear of the charging handle. The position of the scope in the low ring setup appears to be appropriate.

The taller position of the P.E.P.R mount should allow access to the charging handle, even in this rearward position. It will also allow you to mount a folding BUIS at the far rear of the receiver....under the scope. I've rarely read negative comments regarding the P.E.P.R, so I see little reason for it to not work well for you also.
Thanks! I'll change the mount to make it align with the handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
What is your primary ammo used with the rifle? We may be able to help you choose a zero distance well suited to the bullet weight/velocity of your ammo.
XM855 Green Tip.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsoncrafter View Post
The mount is way to far forward you must have a really long neck. It should be as grizz said and also a BCM charging handle is a nice upgrade especially when you have a scope mounted on a it.. And don't use the standard rings they 1 are blocking the charging handle and 2 they have the scope staring at the front sight post they are far to low for the rifle that you have. if it had a rail and low pro gas block it would be fine but not the setup that you have.
Yes, I'll definitely recess the mount, per "man's" suggestion. (Sorry... can't figure out how to stop the icons.....)

How hard is it to replace the charging handle with a BCM? I've not yet delved into any mods to the upper or lower itself.

Last edited by FfNJGTFO; 07-01-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:38 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
Did I miss something? If the gun is shooting low and POI does not change when you adjust the elevation, I would say the scope is not working. It should move the POI somewhere.
Is there a favorite way you use to test/calibrate the scope "standalone" (i.e. not mounted on the gun)? I can see the reticle move relative to the target's bullseye when I make adjustments, but no matter what I do, the placements are still just south of the bullseye.

I'll start over again and get the scope reset to factory specs. Then I'll change the mount to ensure the eyepiece is flush to the charging handle.

Thanks all!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:29 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
Is there a favorite way you use to test/calibrate the scope "standalone" (i.e. not mohttp://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512751unted on the gun)? I can see the reticle move relative to the target's bullseye when I make adjustments, but no matter what I do, the placements are still just south of the bullseye.

I'll start over again and get the scope reset to factory specs. Then I'll change the mount to ensure the eyepiece is flush to the charging handle.

Thanks all!
Google search "scope box test" and you can probably do the test with the scope in a vice or something similar.

Edit.... This explains the box test well.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=512751

Last edited by Caleb; 07-01-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:31 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Here is my last DMR poodle shooter with a P.E.R.P mount and SWFA SS 10X scope. MOA all day long with match ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
She is ready to be broken in!!!!!

Sorry for the crappy cell pics.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:32 AM
COTEP Member

Funny
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro
Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
I had a scope do this drove me crazy . Thru it away .
RIA 1911 .45 - 2 FM 9s M90 & M95- DPMS AR 15 Lower with PSA Upper SS 16 " - Rossi " Gallery " Remi 34 - Cimarron " El Malo 357 SA & assorted others - Leather worker - "Sorcerer Leather Works - Knife maker "B.A.D. BLADES

Desperta Ferro
Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,484 Times in 717 Posts

Try this. ..fire a 3 shot group. If low, aim at the exact same point you aimed when firing, then, holding your rifle steady, adjust the crosshairs down to meet the center of the group. That should zero it at that range. If the next group is low, the scope is suspect imho
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley View Post
I had a scope do this drove me crazy . Thru it away .
Well, first I'll do the "scope box test" per caleb's suggestion. If it comes down to being a "bad scope," then I'll probably just replace it with a BUIS and use that instead. I think Pig may be right... Why put a scope on an AR /M4 variant if you don't need to shoot it at those distances? Better served on more of a "long distance" type rifle.