COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 09-01-2015, 02:49 PM
COTEP Member

In seriousness, I seem to recall mentioning Gators Guns & Archery in Palm Beach. I have been there. They have an indoor archery range[?]. They have a large selection of bows, arrows, etc. I understand they offer instruction as well. Don't know how far you are from there.

Best of luck with the new sport/hobby.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

the best thing you can do is make sure you get the correct size bow for your draw length. if you don't have that then you'll never get really good at it.

you can determine your draw length from home http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-bow-size.html but it is more accurate when you get it measured at an archery store. after that you need the correct length arrows for your draw.

compound bows would be easier to use and hit with for a beginner but with practice a recurve is just as good.

on poundage since you have to build up the muscles you use to draw with it's best to start with a light weight bow and work your way up. if you start out with a heavy poundage bow then you're bound to develop bad habits that will kill your consistent accuracy. i'd suggest a 25# or 30# bow to start with.

just like firearms proper and consistent technique when drawing and shooting the bow is key if you want to get good with it. there are lots of videos on youtube that can help you here.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM
COTEP Member

definitely has you pointed in the right direction. I’ve been hunting with a compound bow for a l-o-n-g time, I don’t have nearly as much experience with a recurve / crossbow though.
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

For a beginner: a CHEAP one. You don't want to spend 1500 on a magnificent crossbow package and find out you don't really care for it.

Mine is an Excalibur Axiom. I paid around 500 for it. It's a recurve rather than a compound but it puts bolts through stuff just fine.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,520 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Lisa still not letting you reload, huh?

Wait til she finds out he wants to spend money on archery equipment, he'll lose was little is left "down there"......

Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks Brother, that link is a great help! Been reading it page by page, great information. I am now leaning towards to a compound bow with 25-30lbs. Thank you.

Any recommendations on brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. View Post
the best thing you can do is make sure you get the correct size bow for your draw length. if you don't have that then you'll never get really good at it.

you can determine your draw length from home http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-bow-size.html but it is more accurate when you get it measured at an archery store. after that you need the correct length arrows for your draw.

compound bows would be easier to use and hit with for a beginner but with practice a recurve is just as good.

on poundage since you have to build up the muscles you use to draw with it's best to start with a light weight bow and work your way up. if you start out with a heavy poundage bow then you're bound to develop bad habits that will kill your consistent accuracy. i'd suggest a 25# or 30# bow to start with.

just like firearms proper and consistent technique when drawing and shooting the bow is key if you want to get good with it. there are lots of videos on youtube that can help you here.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKP View Post
definitely has you pointed in the right direction. I’ve been hunting with a compound bow for a l-o-n-g time, I don’t have nearly as much experience with a recurve / crossbow though.
What brand are you using?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
For a beginner: a CHEAP one. You don't want to spend 1500 on a magnificent crossbow package and find out you don't really care for it.

Mine is an Excalibur Axiom. I paid around 500 for it. It's a recurve rather than a compound but it puts bolts through stuff just fine.
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I'd like to stick to that $500 budget for the exact reason you mentioned.

Are the sub $300 compound bows any good?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post

Wait til she finds out he wants to spend money on archery equipment, he'll lose was little is left "down there"......

I told her, she asked how much. I responded with.... "cheaper than my firearms". She said, "whatever". That answer works for me!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
What brand are you using?
An older PSE.
You can get a VERY nice compound bow in the $300+ price range, look at some of the package deals out there.
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.