COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Range Reports

Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 PM
COTEP Member

I'm back in action after a bit of recovery. I have basically all of them and have the following impressions:

XDS.45 after recall, trigger was a little harder, it has never failed. Nice shooter. I've shot it side by side with Kahr PM.45 and it's preferable with shorter reset. The Kahr has a better trigger but with a long reset and I like the fit and finish of the Kahr a little more.

XDS 9mm after recall, same impression, just not a big fan of 9mm. No failures ever.

Shield 9mm, trigger a little gritty, nice fit and finish. Shot decent, actually carried by wife. I bought apex trigger kit, 85 bucks, world of difference. Now a really impressive shooter and she has improved remarkably.

Shield .40, same trigger criticism and same modification with same result. I showed to LEO buddy who has one and he was astounded at improvement over his. This one is for me as I preferred over 9mm. It recoils! with WW 165 Ranger ammo and stings my trigger finger. I like it, but not a range gun.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:31 PM
COTEP Member

How snappier is the G42 compared to the XDS9?

I'm trying to open horizons to another "small" gun preparing for the little one 's beginnings, but I doubt it'll be a small gun. More like a small caliber to make it fun. Not sure I want to make it too much fun thou...
"The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."
COTEP#CBOB0760
Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie View Post
How snappier is the G42 compared to the XDS9?

I'm trying to open horizons to another "small" gun preparing for the little one 's beginnings, but I doubt it'll be a small gun. More like a small caliber to make it fun. Not sure I want to make it too much fun thou...
The 42 is a .380 and it's not snappy, in fact it's pleasant to shoot. Have not shot a xds 9 so, no comment on that.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Howdy

Just a quick response while I have a few minutes

XDs9....Great little gun Carry it ever day, day in and day out .. Mostly in a Andrews custom pocket holster or a Mitch Rosen IWB. It shoots great and with my tired eyes, even though it is a point and shoot type gun, I changed the sights to BIG DOTS and it made a BIG difference.
The guns does need a little break in time (about 500rds) to get the slide working smooth. (now have about 1200rds through it.
I shoot my own loads at the range but I carry it with 9mm Hydra-Shok and 124 gr. Ido use the standard mag in the gun (smaller profile in the pocket) but also carry and extended mag or 2 loaded in the car or pocket.

The gun has a little kick, but it is a BUG type gun. Once you are use to it, it is very easy to control and get back on your target with a follow up shot.

I have found that using the slide release to load the first round is the best way to insure that the slide is always in battery. Sling shot on the slide does not always yield the same results.

Just remember, that these are small guns and I was once told, "Guns are suppose to be comforting and not necessarily comfortable"

The Glock42 is about the same size in a 380 cal., with no advantage better off with a SIG 380. Small, fast easy to shoot....

Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
The 42 is a .380 and it's not snappy, in fact it's pleasant to shoot. Have not shot a xds 9 so, no comment on that.
I have, that's why I'm asking... thinking the G42 would compare in trigger and recoil to the LCP....?
"The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."
COTEP#CBOB0760
Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by girphoto View Post
Howdy

Just a quick response while I have a few minutes

XDs9....Great little gun Carry it ever day, day in and day out .. Mostly in a Andrews custom pocket holster or a Mitch Rosen IWB. It shoots great and with my tired eyes, even though it is a point and shoot type gun, I changed the sights to BIG DOTS and it made a BIG difference.
The guns does need a little break in time (about 500rds) to get the slide working smooth. (now have about 1200rds through it.
I shoot my own loads at the range but I carry it with 9mm Hydra-Shok and 124 gr. Ido use the standard mag in the gun (smaller profile in the pocket) but also carry and extended mag or 2 loaded in the car or pocket.

The gun has a little kick, but it is a BUG type gun. Once you are use to it, it is very easy to control and get back on your target with a follow up shot.

I have found that using the slide release to load the first round is the best way to insure that the slide is always in battery. Sling shot on the slide does not always yield the same results.

Just remember, that these are small guns and I was once told, "Guns are suppose to be comforting and not necessarily comfortable"

The Glock42 is about the same size in a 380 cal., with no advantage better off with a SIG 380. Small, fast easy to shoot....

I have The XDS in the 3.8, 45 cal. and I have the XDS in the 4 inch, 45 cal. I carry the 3.8 and have shot MANY rounds through it. Very Accurate, and controllable recoil, especially with the Pearce Grip Extension on the 5 round mag. Both are Post Recall guns. I had a "recall gun" before, I could NOT cause a malfunction. I tried many times. I really like The XDS , for what it's designed for, it works great for Me. I would rather have 6 rounds of 45 SD rounds to protect Me than 7 rounds of 9mm. That's just Me. The 45 XDS shoots with a kick, but not so "Snappy" as a 9 or a 40.
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson