COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Blades

Old 09-29-2014, 05:19 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Coincidentally a Sheriff Officer asked today if they were illegal. So, after a short research they are apparently now illegal in N.J. Go figure.
I had done some research for a friend who was asking me, and it's my impression that any knife carried outside the home that could be used to attack (or defend against) another person was illegal in New Jersey.

Also, here is an article from The Truth About Knives: http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...ew-jersey-edc/
Old 09-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
I had done some research for a friend who was asking me, and it's my impression that any knife carried outside the home that could be used to attack (or defend against) another person was illegal in New Jersey.

Also, here is an article from The Truth About Knives: http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...ew-jersey-edc/
Not completely accurate. For example. asked for suggestions for an EDC. Most of us recommended the Kershaw Tactical or the Leek. Both legal to be carried in this state by anyone as long at they're not automatic. Many do.
Autos and gravity (Balisong) knives are illegal to possess. Can't have it all, much less carry it. They fall under "prohibitive weapons."
What may get a knife carrier in trouble is if he uses the knife to commit a crime. Then in becomes "possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose." The same can be said for bat, stick, bottle, etc. We've had many instances of weapons (including knives) being used in self defense and in those cases the defender was not charged.
Even prosecutors get it wrong.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 09-29-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Not completely accurate. For example. asked for suggestions for an EDC. Most of us recommended the Kershaw Tactical or the Leek. Both legal to be carried in this state by anyone as long at they're not automatic. Many do.
Autos and gravity (Balisong) knives are illegal to possess. Can't have it all, much less carry it. They fall under "prohibitive weapons."
What may get a knife carrier in trouble is if he uses the knife to commit a crime. Then in becomes "possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose." The same can be said for bat, stick, bottle, etc. We've had many instances of weapons (including knives) being used in self defense and in those cases the defender was not charged.
Even prosecutors get it wrong.
Good to know. I'll let my friend know. Thanks.