COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 05-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Didn't piss me off. I have eight sisters and three young kids, pissing me off is an impossibility.
So why do we ram a wad down the barrel of a black powder rifle. To hold stuff in place, compress the powder, or both?

I have seen a drunk Marine forget the wad and the ball roll out the end of the barrel. I about pis*sed my self for a week laughing.
Well… yes to holding stuff in place. It would seem the ball is just as important. The powder needs to stay in the base of the chamber in close proximity to the primer charge or cap orifice. You’re basically building a modern round in the bottom of your barrel each time you shoot. Powder compression is still relatively minor, the more wadding between the powder and the shot the less compression you will achieve.

COTEP 439
Old 05-16-2015, 05:03 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Lol...didn't piss me off. I never said fillers were a good idea, just stated they are used in some applications
I load ALOT for 45-70 and using under min charge data (cat fart loads) and with certain Powders will use Dacron for filler But always remember compresed loads even Dacron compressed can cause Havoc
Always use caution stuffing Xtra anything in a Case
No chamber ringing going on Here with Under Min loading
DOGG!!!
Survivors
Will be Shot Again!!!