COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Rolling your own

Back when components and ammo were scarce, I decided to start casting for my 45 ACP. I had already done some casting for my 45 Colt, so all I needed was a mold.

The Lee 230 gr Tumble Lube mold is what I went with. I have been getting most of my lead in the form of spent bullets from the local indoor range. They sell me a bucketful at scrap lead prices.

They ain't purty but they shoot mighty fine!

I basically use the recommended lubing procedure. Tumble lube once, size, then tumble lube again.

After a couple hundred rounds, there is some lead buildup in the grooves near the chamber. A Lewis Lead Remover makes short work of getting it all out.

I'm using a slightly harder mix this time, and I hope that will eliminate the buildup.

The load is 4.5 grains of Trail Boss, which puts me just above the minimum power for CDP class in IDPA. A 13 pound recoil spring is just right for 100% flawless operation (with the right mags)

Here is a loaded round next to a hardball round.

The smaller diameter nose causes the bullet to hit the feed ramp at a little lower angle, which can cause nose dives in some magazines - like CM Shooting Star mags. In Wilson mags they feed perfectly though my DW Panther. In my Colt...not so much...

Last edited by DrHenley; 06-14-2011 at 04:08 PM.