COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Taking the plunge: Reloading 223/5.56

A bit of background:
I have been reloading 45ACP since 2010 and have reloaded 4k rounds on my Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive Press so far.

Reloading 223/5.56:
I had previously gone back and forth with the idea of reloading for my ARs and with the current panic buying, lack of availability of reasonably priced factory rounds, possibility of future taxation and rising prices finally pushed me over the edge. I placed an order on Midwayusa yesterday and the order consisted of the following:

Dies:
Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set 223 Remington
Hornady Microjust Seating Stem
Lee Factory Crimp Die 223 Remington
Hornady Lock-N-Load Die Bushings Package of 3

Shellplate:
Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press Shellplate #16

Case trimming/preperation:
Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer 223 Remington
Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool
Hornady Unique Case Lube 4 oz Tub
Imperial Dry Neck Lube Convenience Pak

Case gage:
L.E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gage 223 Remington

Ammo box:
MTM Flip-Top Ammo Box 223 Remington 100-Round Plastic

I believe that these items in addition to what I already have should allow me to reload the 223 Rem. I have already started tumbling the brass that I had saved up since I got my first AR and I am looking forward to processing some brass and getting them ready to reload once I get the money for the bullets, powder and primers.

Bullets:
I have found thru my internet research that a popular bullet are the Hornady offerings such as this one: Hornady 55gr FMJBT. I would like to get the best per/bullet price and the bulk 6000 piece case is the cheapest I could find at about $0.08 each.

Another nice Hornady bullet that I will probably try is the Hornady Zmax which I have found at a couple of places for about $0.12 each (500 piece box).

Powder:
Hodgdon H335 ($128/8LB)
Ramshot TAC ($128/8LB)
Milsurp W844 ($85/8LB)

Primers:
CCI #400s ($26/1000)
Wolf SPRM ($14/1000)

The point of this thread is to share my experience with taking the plunge into reloading my first rifle caliber and to see if anyone here is already reloading it and would want to share tips/tricks and favorite load combos. I will be sure to share pictures along the way.

I also wanted to share this website as it has a lot of good info on it: http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.html

Last edited by titanse05; 11-27-2012 at 11:10 AM.