COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Dan Wesson

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default Is my Black Valor shedding?

Seems like a very odd question, so could think of no better place to post it.

After last 2 range trips with my Valor, notice my forearms covered with little blacks specks. They wipe right off, but am curious what they are? Shot 250 rounds of 9mm with my P226 tonight, no issues. Later, about 75 rounds into my session with the Valor it looked like someone sprinkled black pepper on my arms - both arms, although seems heavier on right forearm than left.

At first I thought maybe some difference in ammo given I'm shooting 9mm vs .45 acp. RO at my range says he thinks its from the gun - the coating coming off in small specks. Upon cleaning, I can't really see any noticeable areas of flecking on the frame or slide where the coating might be damaged.

Is this something as simple as normal break-in for a Valor? I don't recall reading of a similar experience from others elsewhere. I am a total of 750 rounds in after 3 range trips. It's only seen Federal Champion .45 ammo. During this period, I've also been using the same Federal Champion ammo in 9mm flavor in my Sig and that's not created the same issue.

Thoughts?
Tom

COTEP# CBOB0587