COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Blades

Old 08-12-2015, 10:18 AM
COTEP Member

Default Need some help/ideas in securing bamboo or sugar cane stocks for knife testing

The objective:

To use the new Covington Bowie that's being made and delivered in a few weeks to demonstrate it's capability of lopping a hand off at the wrist and then again lopping off a forearm about 3" from the wrist. This "test" will be videotaped and put up on my you tube channel here https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Requirements:

As close a representation of the two forearm bones in some medium like bamboo/sugar cane [ thanks to /RcR for the suggestions ], wrapped in tenderloin of appropriate dimensions of a wrist/forearm, then all tightly wrapped in multiple layers of cellophane [ to represent skin ].

I'll be taking measurements from a medical training skeleton today to determine diameters of the two forearm bones used in med schools [ SAR commander happens to have one at his house ].

thought taking the tenderloin and having a butcher slice it open lengthwise, then using an approximate diameter piece to represent the wrist and forearm with the "bones" of bamboo or sugar cane placed into the slit would approximate the density of bone [ being porous ] would suffice.

Dilemma/help with dilemma from members

I wondered if anyone here could secure some sugar cane stalk from a place like this http://www.bamboosupply.net/bamboo_poles.htm about the same diameter of the two forearm boners and send it to me after I get the dimensions of the forearm bones off the skeleton..

If not sugar cane, perhaps someone has access to bamboo stalk in Fla that would be a fair representation in diameter also.

Taking suggestions on either, or perhaps using bone to replicate the two forearm bones might be viable as one SAR member suggested last night at the monthly meeting.

Ideas? Suggestions from the members on how to replicate the bones to demonstrate the cutting power that can be applied by a fighting bowie? Perhaps better ideas on the "meat" or wrapping?

Thanks in advance, I think the testing should shed some light on the force that can be applied with a light fighting bowie and it's ability to sever a wrist/forearm. The testing is in response to a member of another forum [ ex leo ] who is adamant that the bowie will NOT be capable of severing either the wrist or forearm 3" from the wrist. I believe he's wrong, and am willing to prove the point.

Cost of materials and shipping will be covered by me, so lets hear some ideas from members who'd like to see such a test of a bowie's ability to sever/cleave a wrist or forearm bone off. I'll be using what's known as a "snap cut" with the bowie that generates a lot more force than just swinging the blade.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 AM
COTEP Member

Seems like you're on the right track. I just read an article that used gy parts for similar testing.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:02 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2A View Post
Seems like you're on the right track. I just read an article that used gy parts for similar testing.
Yes, in the next few days I'm going to a farm, their skin also ours closely. Thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 11:17 AM
COTEP Member

Just get in a bar fight.....oh wait, I got stabbed from that in 1977...scratch that.

I would use a ham, with skin on. Get bones from the local butcher and stuff the ham with them. You can trim meat away and re-wrap the skin once you get the diameter you want. unless it's my forearm you are after, then you will need to add meat.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:22 AM
COTEP Member

Good suggestion Joe, thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 11:56 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
Good suggestion Joe, thanks
You are welcome....We used hams, though more for fun, to see bullet damage years ago. You can get deer legs for bones from any place that processes deer for hunters. Hell, you can buy an intact deer leg and attack it with the bowie. Probably pretty cheap, too.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 08-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

I can most likely get sugar cane or bamboo. I need diamter and length.
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Old 08-20-2015, 09:57 PM
COTEP Member

Awesome. Can't wait to see the results.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:48 PM
COTEP Member

Here's "El Hefe", the one that's being sheathed this next week and sent to me for testing. Click the pic, it expands to a bigger view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg El Hefe.jpg (96.4 KB, 10 views)

Old 08-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

They sell bamboo as decoration. Look in Michael's or Hobby Lobby or similar.

Sugar can is not as rigid and is has more moisture.

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria