COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols

Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Pedro, the Rocks are solid platforms, but sometimes need some tuning...and a lot of breaking in.

If you want a basic 1911 platform to tinker with, they are great, but if you want something that shoots out of the box without any tweaking, then they are hit and miss as previously stated.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 12-08-2016, 05:24 PM
COTEP Member

I have a quick question, can someone explain to me the advantages or need of a flared and lowered ejection port? I've heard it helps with the ejection of spent brass and not getting
it dinged up, apart from adding aesthetic value to the gun.

The Springfield Armory loaded model comes with a flare and lowered ejection Port, it seems the the Colt does not

ETA: what about the main spring housing? Flat or rounded? This is just a preference in terms of how the grip feels in one's hand?

Last edited by pitor; 12-08-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:28 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
I have a quick question, can someone explain to me the advantages or need of a flared and lowered ejection port? I've heard it helps with the ejection of spent brass and not getting
it dinged up, apart from adding aesthetic value to the gun.

The Springfield Armory loaded model comes with a flare and lowered ejection Port, it seems the the Colt does not

ETA: what about the main spring housing? Flat or rounded? This is just a preference in terms of how the grip feels in one's hand?
It's pretty much to guarantee reliable ejection of spent casings. Do you "need" it? Depends on the pistol and if has week ejection I think. Any who, it doesn't hurt to have it.

Yes, the MSH decision will be up to you and how it feels in your hand. I have medium to small hands so, I prefer the flat. I would go to your LGS and hold a few rounded and a few flat and see how it feels to you. It also helps with point ability (at least for me) as well.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:30 PM
COTEP Member

I like Grab-a-gun as well as Buds, both places are good to deal with. Also, Buds does price matching and/or "OBO Or Best Offer" plus free shipping.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,788 Times in 731 Posts

Ejection port is nice to have modified but not necessary. A gun with a weak or bent ejector will still eject but if its not flared it might be problematic. Not necessary but I do prefer it.

I don't own a SA, but a buddy is a big SA fan has a V12, range officer and many many other. The V12 is probably the best Springer out there, love that thing. His range officer is pretty nice too, wouldn't be ashamed to own that piece either!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
I like Grab-a-gun as well as Buds, both places are good to deal with. Also, Buds does price matching and/or "OBO Or Best Offer" plus free shipping.
I have used buds a couple of times and found they are excellent. Never had an issue with them. Can't speak for Grabagun......
Old 12-08-2016, 07:00 PM
COTEP Member

Love my full-size Springfield and I don't find carrying it difficult, pitor. However, I'd also enjoy having a Commander size, too and will one day. Lot's of decent 1911s can be had for $1K so good luck in your search.

WARNING, 1911s are like Lays potato chips, you can't have just one!

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, NRA-Life Member
FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-2022 (now retired)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-- Circa 1938, author unknown

"It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living."
-- Gus McCrae

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
-- H. Spencer
Old 12-08-2016, 07:15 PM
COTEP Member

I'm quickly narrowing down my decision. It's going to be a full size government model, and either going to be a Colt or Springfield Armory.

From Colt website

"Built on a blued carbon steel slide and frame, the Competition Pistol has been modified with an undercut trigger guard and fit with an upswept “memory button” grip safety. The slide has a lowered and flared ejection port for more reliable case ejection and cut for Novak sights. The pistol comes with a fiber optic front sight and a fully-adjustable rear sight.

The Competition Pistol is fit with a 5-inch National Match barrel, dual-spring recoil system and holds 8+1 in .45 and 9+1 in 9mm. For a nice finishing touch it comes with custom blue and black machined G10 grips engraved with the Colt logo.

On top of all that Colt is listing the Competition Pistol at $899, making it competitive pistols in more ways than one. Colt is at the top of their game when it comes to 1911s and whether you’re a practiced sports shooter or just looking for a great gun to take to the range the Competition Pistol is an incredible value–this gun is going to make a lot of short lists."

Awesome. This might be the one...

So far it has come down to either the Springfield Armory loaded or the Colt competition
Old 12-08-2016, 07:19 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
I'm quickly narrowing down my decision. It's going to be a full size government model, and either going to be a Colt or Springfield Armory.

From Colt website

"Built on a blued carbon steel slide and frame, the Competition Pistol has been modified with an undercut trigger guard and fit with an upswept “memory button” grip safety. The slide has a lowered and flared ejection port for more reliable case ejection and cut for Novak sights. The pistol comes with a fiber optic front sight and a fully-adjustable rear sight.

The Competition Pistol is fit with a 5-inch National Match barrel, dual-spring recoil system and holds 8+1 in .45 and 9+1 in 9mm. For a nice finishing touch it comes with custom blue and black machined G10 grips engraved with the Colt logo.

On top of all that Colt is listing the Competition Pistol at $899, making it competitive pistols in more ways than one. Colt is at the top of their game when it comes to 1911s and whether you’re a practiced sports shooter or just looking for a great gun to take to the range the Competition Pistol is an incredible value–this gun is going to make a lot of short lists."

Awesome. This might be the one...

So far it has come down to either the Springfield Armory loaded or the Colt competition
Either one will serve you well.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:19 PM
COTEP Member

Check out the Colt

Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Check out the Colt

I like it and I know a guy (a big guy) that knows a thing or two about custom grips.