COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Old 07-17-2014, 10:20 PM
COTEP Member

Default Sheriff's FATS simulator

Yesterday I shot the Sheriff's simulator. Thousands of options and endings.
Basically they wanted me to shoot so every scenario was a nail...I had a hammer...everyone got shot. I learned very little except that I am patient, don't make rash decisions and in this case...two innocents died. My approach is not always right. Of course, I didn't get told I would be going to jail and I prevailed to live another day...but two people died.

Simulator scenarios

1. School, bg has knife, holding it toward girls and close to them. Walked in and ordered him to drop knife several times. When he turned full to me and brandished...lit him up (told he was about to turn and start stabbing). In real life don't think I would have done that...sadly I am a fixer and in this case, girl might have been killed.

2. Bg in Home Depot, has shotgun. Hasn't shot anyone but when I get there standing by woman but not pointing gun at me or her. I tell him to drop the gun, before I could fire, shotgun up and woman shot...I light him up. Woman toast.

3. Hospital, bg already shot several people. Step over bodies. See bg. He is yelling at a man on the floor and it looks like he is just pointing his finger at him. Was a gun couldn't really see. Bg shoots man on floor and I light him up.

4. Home broken into and bg in garage. I investigate (won't do that, would have hunkered and called LE...but the program beckons). Open door to garage. Bg in car. Yell orders. Bg gets out and starts walking toward me with golf club raised. Order him to stop but continues. Light him up.

They wanted to make it fun for me but I wanted to train and be taught.

Today my senior instructor (sheriff's swat instructor and leader comes to visit...answer questions). He is OSS and SWAT and has been a LEO for twenty years. He has never shot anyone and is in it every day, much evil. Long talk. Ending. There is no right or wrong. Tactics on how to handle the situation but not easy for the right ending. Most people don't want to be shot and give up. BUT!!!
I hope you run What ifs in your mind. I hope you train. I hope you practice drawing from concealment. Practice rapid fire. I am a proponent of threat focused shooting. Others front sight. As long as we can get our gun out quickly and many rounds on target quickly...and hopefully train to move before draw and move while firing and until behind cover...we'll then make a good judgement call if and when evil rises up. ing builds confidence. Understanding the law and mindset, a quick response. I hope we are training!
Anyway, I will do it again with my instructor and run more scenarios that allow reason, calmness to prevail. Very few times will we need our hammer...but if we need it we will need it right now!
Better to stay out of harms way.

Franklin

Last edited by Franklin; 07-17-2014 at 11:10 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Franklin For This Useful Post:
Caleb (07-17-2014), douglas_knott (07-17-2014), milkmanjoe (07-18-2014), MPDC (07-18-2014), NAMVET72 (07-17-2014), ronpaul50 (07-19-2014), sdmc530 (07-18-2014), sstpierre (07-19-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 PM
COTEP Member

Great training! I shoot the one at Gander/Lake . A former client of mine (ex-fhp) works there and lets me shoot the LEO scenarios. It sure makes you think..
Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 PM
COTEP Member

That sounds like a good training.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 AM
COTEP Member

That is very interesting. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 AM
COTEP Member

Great post, Franklin...Jeez, I remember your range when it was a cavern of a room with a pile of steel in it waiting to be assembled. Now you are in advanced training! I'm up for any type of training with firearms, need to make a trip to Jax and have some fun at your sandbox!

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:41 AM
COTEP Member

Very interesting, Franklin. Amazing how outcomes differ by mindset. Reminds us how fallible we are. Like my sig line says, "Good to know what you don't know".

I can think of several instances where shooting would or could have been ruled "Justified", yet I didn't and was never shot nor was an innocent shot. I think an Officer has more of an obligation to try to diffuse than a Citizen but OTOH, would never want my son taking that kind of chance. Being young sometimes finds us feeling immortal, foolishly.

Also, in my day (Stone Age), criminals weren't as heavily armed, usually and the lack of respect and fear of the badge wasn't as prevalent. Today, I think, it is more dangerous and requires more SA than back then. Good on ya for making us think!
COTEP #744
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDC View Post
Very interesting, Franklin. Amazing how outcomes differ by mindset. Reminds us how fallible we are. Like my sig line says, "Good to know what you don't know".

I can think of several instances where shooting would or could have been ruled "Justified", yet I didn't and was never shot nor was an innocent shot. I think an Officer has more of an obligation to try to diffuse than a Citizen but OTOH, would never want my son taking that kind of chance. Being young sometimes finds us feeling immortal, foolishly.

Also, in my day (Stone Age), criminals weren't as heavily armed, usually and the lack of respect and fear of the badge wasn't as prevalent. Today, I think, it is more dangerous and requires more SA than back then. Good on ya for making us think!
I bet most of us can remember when LEO's carried .38 revos, and felt safe. The world has surely changed. One thing I am watching here on COTEP is the infusion of different training with firearms. To think back, when I wasn't a member, that maybe owning/shooting a DW 1911 was prominent. Might come around to owning and training(self/family defense) with that fine DW 1911. Most of my 1911's are rustbucket Springfields, but they all run flawlessly, which is what I am after for training/self defense. Question is...am I good enough?

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:18 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
Great post, Franklin...Jeez, I remember your range when it was a cavern of a room with a pile of steel in it waiting to be assembled. Now you are in advanced training! I'm up for any type of training with firearms, need to make a trip to Jax and have some fun at your sandbox!
Joe
You are always welcome and I will always be glad to see you.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:42 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
I bet most of us can remember when LEO's carried .38 revos, and felt safe. The world has surely changed. One thing I am watching here on COTEP is the infusion of different training with firearms. To think back, when I wasn't a member, that maybe owning/shooting a DW 1911 was prominent. Might come around to owning and training(self/family defense) with that fine DW 1911. Most of my 1911's are rustbucket Springfields, but they all run flawlessly, which is what I am after for training/self defense. Question is...am I good enough?
Hey Joe, how 'bout I just head on over and take that rusty black stainless off your hands?
COTEP #0749

I changed my car horn to gun shot sounds. People move out of the way much faster now
Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Hey Joe, how 'bout I just head on over and take that rusty black stainless off your hands?

hehehe...that's in the part of my collection that ain't rustbuckets...