COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room > Help Me Fix My Gun

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Default I went and did it now.

Just bought a Ruger 22/45 mkIII. Took it to the range yesterday for the first time, and sighted in my red dot sight. Got it hitting pretty much spot on.
Took it home and started to disassemble it to clean it. This is the first time I've ever taken one of these down, so like I always do with an unfamiliar gun, I bought an AGI video Armorers' course for it. Well, apparently, it just wan't my day. I made sure the hammer was down, like the video said. I started to pull the hammer strut down with a pocket screwdriver, and it was tight/stuck. Then I realized the magazine was still in, and I released it. Then the hammer strut moved freely. But it wouldn't pull down and out of the gun. It wouldn't budge. So I pushed it back up all the way in, and replaced the hammer strut. I attempted to cock the gun and dry fire it, but the bolt was sticking. I pulled a little harder, and it came back, but had to be forced to go into battery. Not too much force, just a nudge from the palm of my hand. But now it won't dry fire. So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't know if the hammer is up or down, why the bolt is sticking, and the video said if you forget to put the hammer down and try to remove the hammer strut, it will stick and you won't get it out, or back in. I have it in, but not sure what's going on, and I'm afraid to mess it up.
So I guess it's off to a qualified gunsmith for this brand new gun. Sometimes I feel so stupid.
Certified in Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Shotgun Shell Reloading
Utah CCW holder
Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Aim Small, Miss Small.