COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc7x7 View Post
I got a batch of Federal SP 45 acp brass. SO I cleaned and seperated them from the regular LP and started loading them in a batch.
1. They run great in all my 1911's
2. They chrono with no discernable differance.
3. Seems like brass is just as nice as Fed LP brass
4. I load my 230 LRN in SP brass now and 200gr in LP Brass. Not they are hard to tell apart but this is another way to check what I'm shooting.
4a. Shot them in an IDPA match week before CHristmas and won the match in CDP so no problems with the ammo loaded with SP

Summary if you want to get that brass I will consider paying you a resonable amount for some of it if you don't want it

Jcc7x7
Neil

Thanks. This is what I was hoping to hear. I have about 3,000 rounds of LP brass, but I can never recover all of it when I shoot--the rounds eject too far forward of the firing line.

Next time I go to the Sheriff's range, I'll test whether my guess that the range master will let me carry away as much spent brass as I want.

Randall
Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

This idea that .45acp now comes in small primer has intriqued me. After all these years of large primer, why would they change up and ad a new size into the mix? So I did some research, and find that the .45 GAP is basically a short .45 acp case, and it uses small primers. The max length of .45 acp case is .898, while the max length of the .45 GAP case is .760.
I don't have any small primer .45's, so I would like to ask someone with these and who has a dial caliper, if they would gauge their cases, comparatively. I'm just thinking that the small primer stuff is not really intended for the .45 acp, but is actually .45 GAP.
So there in lies the question, is it safe to fire a .45 GAP in a .45 ACP pistol? Will it headspace correctly enough to be safe? Is that .122 case length difference okay? In a revolver I would say yes, but in a semiauto, I think no. The cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, so you can't seat the bullet shallower to make up the difference in OAL, and you'll have that gap between the case and the bolt face. And even if it fired correctly, what are the effects of the extraction?
Anyone smarter than I (that would be most of you) have an answer?
Certified in Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading, Shotgun Shell Reloading
Utah CCW holder
Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Aim Small, Miss Small.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

All the small primer stuff I've picked up is genuinely .45 ACP, not GAP.