COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger > Range Reports

Old 02-18-2015, 08:54 PM
COTEP Member

I run a couple of mags weak handed at 7 yds every time I shoot, which has been kind of rare since Christmas. I even do it with my 640. The BHP, 1911s I do fairly well with. Generally most of the rounds touching. With the Glock 17, Shield and Revos I'm alot more spastic. But then there are those who will tell you I'm spastic all of the time anyway.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Fairly good strong handed. I used to practice a lot with my weak hand, but never was that good. Some pistols seem to be a lot easier to shoot weak handed. Lately I have been forgetting to practice weak handed, maybe I'll take a smart pill next time so I will remember.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell
Old 02-19-2015, 12:11 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
I will admit that I do not practice enough off hand.

PS: Brownie, when shooting two pistols..... Where are you looking? Obviously, you can't see both targets at the same time...... or can you?
Very good question sir,

The "Enhanced Peripheral Vision © that's was developed to what you saw started with a dozen years [ 81 to 92 ] of peripheral vision shooting using Quick Kill Pistol. QK pistol uses a narrow band of peripheral vision. I owned that skill when this happened.

Talking smack one day, I made the comment that I could shoot two guns at the same time and make hits like the movies. Challenged and agreed I had some time to see if I could get to it, he thought not.

A week of shooting looking first at one, then the other, then trying to see both using as much direct vision [ as when you'd look for sights ] as I could muster. Nothing, not repeatable in any form until I decided to not look at either one and just started experimenting with enhancing the peripheral vision, extending it out past QK pistols narrow range.

The more I played with expanding peripheral vision, I started to walk around the house and just in peripheral point at objects on the wall, then check it with direct vision, first one side then the other, testing for the best solution and how far the peripheral could be used/expanded.

Come to find out, there's two things that need to happen for this to work reliably. One is to learn how to use peripheral vision to shoot without looking at the gun and then how to expand that peripheral out as far as possible to the 180 degree arc.

The second part that makes it work and if not done results in misses is using that peripheral vision to "punch" the chest of the threats with your fists [ superimposing them low abdomen ]. Now, once you can punch them reliably in the chest without looking at either, add the guns in hands, punch and fire.

It's brain dead simple and there's people here who have been shown how and actually performed two guns like the vid in the course of fire. It's a skill I impart if we have the time.

People think/call it's zen shooting after they perform it the very first time they experience under my direction. In reality, it's something we're all capable of and just don't learn to use peripheral vision as much as we could. It opens new worlds to the student, and I'm fond of telling them that now I've got them shooting without looking at the guns or the threats, the rest of the weekend they are going to be allowed to cheat by being allowed to look at the threats/targets

Joe, did I get that right?

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"

Last edited by brownie; 02-19-2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:17 AM
COTEP Member

Appreciate everyone's replies, off hand proficiency is something to master one day. It could save your life if your gun hand is injured

Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

When I as on the job, I taught weak hand shooting/reloading, etc., simply because in a combat situation if your strong hand is disabled, you need to be able to keep in the fight and survive. Since I've been off the job I haven't done much with it except for the annual LEOSA qualification. Thanks for the heads up, gotta remember to keep doing this when I hit the range.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer
Old 02-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipersnest View Post
When I as on the job, I taught weak hand shooting/reloading, etc., simply because in a combat situation if your strong hand is disabled, you need to be able to keep in the fight and survive. Since I've been off the job I haven't done much with it except for the annual LEOSA qualification. Thanks for the heads up, gotta remember to keep doing this when I hit the range.
Yeah, still do. It's also part of the syllabus when we teach pistol courses at the range I work at.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
Very good question sir,

The "Enhanced Peripheral Vision © that's was developed to what you saw started with a dozen years [ 81 to 92 ] of peripheral vision shooting using Quick Kill Pistol. QK pistol uses a narrow band of peripheral vision. I owned that skill when this happened.

Talking smack one day, I made the comment that I could shoot two guns at the same time and make hits like the movies. Challenged and agreed I had some time to see if I could get to it, he thought not.

A week of shooting looking first at one, then the other, then trying to see both using as much direct vision [ as when you'd look for sights ] as I could muster. Nothing, not repeatable in any form until I decided to not look at either one and just started experimenting with enhancing the peripheral vision, extending it out past QK pistols narrow range.

The more I played with expanding peripheral vision, I started to walk around the house and just in peripheral point at objects on the wall, then check it with direct vision, first one side then the other, testing for the best solution and how far the peripheral could be used/expanded.

Come to find out, there's two things that need to happen for this to work reliably. One is to learn how to use peripheral vision to shoot without looking at the gun and then how to expand that peripheral out as far as possible to the 180 degree arc.

The second part that makes it work and if not done results in misses is using that peripheral vision to "punch" the chest of the threats with your fists [ superimposing them low abdomen ]. Now, once you can punch them reliably in the chest without looking at either, add the guns in hands, punch and fire.

It's brain dead simple and there's people here who have been shown how and actually performed two guns like the vid in the course of fire. It's a skill I impart if we have the time.

People think/call it's zen shooting after they perform it the very first time they experience under my direction. In reality, it's something we're all capable of and just don't learn to use peripheral vision as much as we could. It opens new worlds to the student, and I'm fond of telling them that now I've got them shooting without looking at the guns or the threats, the rest of the weekend they are going to be allowed to cheat by being allowed to look at the threats/targets

Joe, did I get that right?

Hehehehe.....you can even get it across in writing. I am confident I could get it across on the range, but I would need to steal the above from you if asked online. So stick around. And stick around on the range too, while I love practicing this skill I have no intent of teaching it.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 AM
COTEP Member

The point is it works, pretty much everyone is capable of same once the learning curve is shortened as I present it, and myself and students are living proof it's something that's attainable by anyone with the interest

Last edited by brownie; 02-19-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
The point is it works, pretty much everyone is capable of same once the learning curve is shortened as I present it, and myself and students are living proof it's something that's attainable by anyone with the interest
When we are up in SC in March I will do a video with two of the steel silhouettes. I am at near 110 degrees now, dual G17's, looking straight ahead and hitting steel at twenty five feet.

It's FUN!

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmanjoe View Post
When we are up in SC in March I will do a video with two of the steel silhouettes. I am at near 110 degrees now, dual G17's, looking straight ahead and hitting steel at twenty five feet.

It's FUN!