COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Reloading Bench

Old 02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog View Post
, before you jump in to a 1050 look real hard at the 650. It is smaller easier to change calibers and cheaper than the 1050. The 1050 is considered a commercial reloader and is not covered by the same "cover everything" as the 650. Dillon has not charged me for repairs to my 1050 just saying. The 650 will do everything the 1050 does. You will spend more time filling primer tubes than pulling the handle. Dillon also makes an auto primer tube filler and an auto bullet feeder. Just my .02 cents.
Damn! Now you've got me interested.

I'm very happy with my Lee Classic Turret Press and I've got all the additions I need to make it sing. But I like to tinker too much.

What would be an approximate "all in" price to give me a full setup switching to a Dillon XL 650? Don't need rigorous analysis , just a ballpark.

Thanks,
Tom
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

If you have a buddy with an FFL or C&R license you can get the Dillon 650 less dies at Graf and Sons for right about $478.00!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
If you have a buddy with an FFL or C&R license you can get the Dillon 650 less dies at Graf and Sons for right about $478.00!!
Thanks, John.

Will my Lee dies be ok? I've got a fairly hefty investment in various caliber Lee dies.

Tom
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Tom, they should work without a problem. I use the Dillon RL550B with my RCBS dies and they work great!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
COTEP Member

I have the Lyman T-Mag turret press kit. I bought mine almost 20years ago and I have been very happy with it. I think some of the additional components have changed a little since then but it looks basically the same. I like being able to leave a couple seating dies in place so I don't have to go thru the set up process as much. Its also nice to be able to do multiple steps without changing dies like you would with a single stage press. Most of my dies are Lee and they work fine.
There may be better presses/kits I don't know but overall I am very happy with the Lyman T-Mag.

COTEP Member CBOB 0710
Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbob45 View Post
I have the Lyman T-Mag turret press kit. I bought mine almost 20years ago and I have been very happy with it. I think some of the additional components have changed a little since then but it looks basically the same. I like being able to leave a couple seating dies in place so I don't have to go thru the set up process as much. Its also nice to be able to do multiple steps without changing dies like you would with a single stage press. Most of my dies are Lee and they work fine.
There may be better presses/kits I don't know but overall I am very happy with the Lyman T-Mag.
Hmmm... the T-Mag sounds a lot like the Lee Classic Turret press. I'ver been using mine for years, but not as long as you

I don't know why I'm even thinking about something better since I like the Lee very much. Maybe I can't leave well enough alone and need to think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

The Dillon 650 is a progressive press, and quite a bit more powerful and fast. See this link. One loaded bullet per pull.

But since I only load a few hundred rounds at a time I probably don't need such a powerful system. And there are downsides. With my Lee Turret press, I can change calibers in about 10 seconds. Likely a lot more with a progressive. Once you get them set up, they are very fast, but they're a bit finicky and more suited to loading a lot of one caliber.

But must... have... one... !

Tom
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,481 Times in 716 Posts

We really need a popcorn smilie
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Okay, basically all the Turret Presses work the same way. It's a single-stage press with a quicker way to change dies. Instead of unscrewing a die and screwing another in, you just turn the Turret. so, you save about 20 seconds between operations. Once the dies are set and the nuts locked, all that you do with a single stage is unscrew one and screw another in. With a turret you just turn the turret. The only real advantage is you can buy extra turrets for other calibers and simply switch Turrets and shellholders.

The difference in Turret Presses is the same as any other Press, quality. Not badmouthing Lee or anything but, quality-wise the Lyman is well above the Lee. In other words, you're not just paying for name.

The best advice I can give for anyone just getting into reloading is not to go overboard with equipment. Why? you're going to make mistakes and, using more complicated equipment magnifies those mistakes. Say you go whole-Hog into this and buy one of the big Progressives from Dillon or RCBS,etc. Set everything up and run oh, 300 rounds off. Unknown to you, your dump is misthrowing a charge on the highside, because you unknowingly turned the adjustment while screwing it into that press turret. How do you check your rounds? You don't know. So, you load up the Slabsides and let loose with a dangerous overcharge.

My advice is keep it simple until you know what you're doing. Then, once you get some experience under your belt, you can cheat yourself out of an enjoying past time by running off rounds as quickly as possible and using that $500.00 plus piece of equipment for one-hour every month or two if you're an average shooter.

I'm sorry guys but, recommending advanced equipment like this to a beginner is not a good idea. Toms' statement above about need pretty much says it all.

Last edited by Dave Waits; 02-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I used an RCBS Rock Chucker for many years, still have it. I then went to a Dillon RL550B. I check every 10th round just for my own piece of mind. Mistakes can happen, might be a bit anal but I have never had a bad round.

The main thing about reloading at least for me is to be in a distraction free environment and to concentrate ONLY on reloading!!! NO TV OR RADIO!!!!

I believe that if a person is careful and concentrates on what he/she is doing then any machine can be suitable as long as you are careful and observant to what is going on.

COTEP # CBOB0152

Last edited by Dave Waits; 02-21-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMag View Post
I used an RCBS Rock Chucker for many years, still have it. I then went to a Dillon RL550B. I check every 10th round just for my own piece of mind. Mistakes can happen, might be a bit anal but I have never had a bad round.

The main thing about reloading at least for me is to be in a distraction free environment and to concentrate ONLY on reloading!!! NO TV OR RADIO!!!!

I believe that if a person is careful and concentrates on what he/she is doing then any machine can be suitable as long as you are careful and observant to what is going on.
John, my Friend, what does your piece of mind say about the other nine rounds? you mean you haven't had a bad round YET, right? It only takes one that gets by.

Look, you guys are my Friends. I just don't want anything to happen to you all.