COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2015, 06:11 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Default DIY Spray Paint Camo Job

This is how I camo my rifles, if it's good enough for the military....it's good enough for me.

Here is the rifle and paint colors I chose...

I also use Brakleen for degreasing the project. After you get ALL the grease/lube off, wipe it down good with some denatured alchohol. One that dries, go ahead and tape up anything you do not want painted. I use blue painters tape, i would not use anything that sticks strong or you will pull some paint off with the tape. Set up the rifle so you can easily hit all sides with the paint. In my case, I did one side at a time.

Now it's time to lay down your base layer. The first coat needs to be very light, this is important. Do NOT lay it down heavy or it will run on you and ruin the job. Typically, three coats is all that is needed for your base layer (two light coats and one medium "full coverage" coat). I chose Olive Drab for my base layer.

Follow the directions on the can for drying times and additional coats. Once the base coat is dry, go ahead and place your pre-cut stencils in random spots. Remeber, whatever you cover with the stencils will be showing once they are removed. So, if you want a lot of your base coat showing, you will need to add more stencils.

Now it's time to spray your second color. Two light-medium coats will suffice, you do not need a lot of paint from now on. Still follow the re-spray and dry times on your paint can and be patient. I chose (actually my brother chose it) a ish brown color for the second layer.

Once this layer is complete and dry (at least 30mins to an hour), you have choices to make. You can continue to add male stencils and spray your third color or peel the first set of stencils and use female stencils from now on. I chose the later. Here is how the rifle looks so far after the first two coats and the stencils removed.

Do not remove the blue tape yet, there is more paint to add! Unless, that look is good enough for you. I have two more colors to spray so, I will let this dry over night and continue tomorrow.

To be continued..............
edgehill (04-18-2015), GD2A (04-18-2015), Lonestar grips. (04-19-2015), NAMVET72 (04-18-2015), pitor (04-18-2015), Riverpigusmc (04-18-2015), sdmc530 (04-18-2015), skosh69 (04-18-2015)