Thread: Tell Us
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Casper View Post
I originally joined the NAVY in the fall of 1962 to be an Electronics Technician (Nuclear) in the Polaris sub program. That lasted until the second week of boot camp at Great Lakes. They sent me to Engineman school instead. Well, at least they both start with an E.

After school I was stationed aboard the ammo ship USS Mauna Loa AE-8 from June '63 to June '66, three years of ear drum pounding time in the diesel engine room. They sent me to AC/R school and I never worked in that field after graduation.

In July '66 they sent me to the Naval Support Activity, DaNang, RSVN. I was aboard the LCU-1484 hauling stuff to Dong Ha, Hue, Phu Bai, and Chu Lai.

Somewhere in there I spent about 3-4 months at the Ship Repair Facility in Subic Bay, P.I.

I got out in July '67 as a third class petty officer with not enough time left in service to get my E-5 rate.

My son was a NAVY Corpsman who served with the USMC in Desert Storm. He wore MARINE green more than NAVY blues.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and hope to share knowledge.
Neil welcome and thank you for your service!

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar