View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 PM
COTEP Member

Default Kimber Aegis Ultra 9mm

I wanted an alloy framed 1911 9mm for carry and fun at the range. Came down to the Eco, Kimber Aegis, Sig Ultra, and Springer EMP. I have a DW VBOB Commander so the expectations were set high, and only the Eco could climb that high.
I’m 5’10 160 and carry IWB, I carry a P938 or a G27 and I wanted something similar in size to my G26. Degeneration in my neck and and some loss of fine motor skills have prompted me to find a softer shooter than my 45s and 40 calibers I usually shoot. I’ve been avoiding the range because of this and pain flare ups.
Decided against the EMP for not being able to use 1911 parts and I hated the lack of flush mags. The Sig I wanted to like, but just didn’t want the 2-tone it came in and was pretty pricey for what it is imo. The Eco was just over budget, but I really wanted it.
Then came the Kimber, which I’ve never thought I’d buy or want. It came only with 1 mag, love or hate reviews, and some are pretty pricey. What I loved about the Aegis was the serrations, and with my numbing fingertips was easy to rack. Also it had a round butt and flush mags can be had. Secondary were its looks but man is it a cool looking gun. So I took a leap and bought it for 850$ new out the door.
The dimensions are perfect and it disappeared on my body with a Cooks IWB holster. I field stripped it before the range trip and the fit and finish is pretty damn good. No burs or any crap assembly or milling that I could see. Very tight and no rattles. The only thing I thought seemed budget was the guide rod/spring assembly. Used Wilson lube and bore polish and took her to the range.
I took 147g, 124g, 115g, and Hornady Critical defense rounds and shot them in that order. Not a hiccup as the gun ate everything in put through it. After 100 rounds I stripped it down, inspected, reoiled and shot the crap out of it. I love this gun, and so far it’s a smooth operator. Very soft shooting and pretty accurate. I practiced emptying the mag and felt I did alright, as it had been a year or so since I’ve shot. I really look forward to more time with this gun. I am really impressed with the quality compared to my DW. Yes the Dan Wesson is on a whole other level, but for a range/carry piece this baby is a little Cadillac. I never thought I’d own a Kimber, but they make some pretty nice 3” 1911s. Now some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aqualungs; 12-26-2018 at 06:03 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aqualungs For This Useful Post:
Caleb (12-26-2018), FfNJGTFO (12-26-2018), MajO (12-26-2018), RKP (12-26-2018), sdmc530 (12-27-2018)