View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 02:35 PM
COTEP Member

Ok fellas, I was able to get rid of the idiot scratch and other minor scratches, so I want to share some of my very interesting findings about how to deal with scratches on a "brushed" SS finish. In particular the use of steel wool that at first was suggested by some friends and gun people.

After many youtube videos and extensive search, I learned that steel wool (0000) is not a good choice. The reason for this has to do with the following: As you work the steel wool on the slide (or frame) to get rid of scratches, fine particles of the steel wool may deposit in the cracks of the stainless steel slide/frame. These steel wool particles are not stainless and will promote rust spots on the cracks where it gets in.

Either stick to 1000 grit sandpaper or do like I did, turn to 3M Scotch Brite pads. They are synthetic and will never leave any residues on the metal. It worked great. I used the grey pad at first which is comparable to 800-1000 grit, then finished it with the white pad which is 1200-1500 grit. SCRATCHES ARE GONE.

I followed the grain of the metal in a single directon (not back and forth), did it by hand, and went slow. Now I can shoot the gun and as long as I don't drop it or bang it against something, I should be able to maintain its beautiful brushed look.

Below is chart that describes 3M Scotch Brite pads grits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scotchbritechart.jpg (94.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by pitor; 02-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.